Crank Radios: How to Select the Right Emergency Radio
Knowing how to select the right crank radio can be a daunting task.
Crank radios were created to provide a portable radio ready for emergencies, weather issues, natural disasters such as hurricanes, snow storms, and other power outages. By hand cranking for a period of time (one to two minutes is typical), your crank radio can provide emergency weather information and more. With growing concerns about natural disaster, terrorism issues, and other emergencies, people are becoming more aware of the need to stay informed and ready during an emergency situation.
You may find an emergency radio useful during:
• Power outages
• Outdoor adventures or camping.
• Terrorism or other man-made emergencies.
• Power outages and/or blackouts
Emergency radios are an essential part of planning for disaster scenarios. These emergency gadgets are a great way to stay informed and in tune with news and weather information. In times of need, radios provide a link and potentially life-saving tool for those in need.utages and/or blackouts.
Emergency weather radios can be a critical component of disaster survival since they can operate without plug electricity and on their own hand-crank power. The emergency device can perform without reliance on power outlets, batteries, or any other usual power sources.
Here’s how crank weather radios work:
1. Each radio comes with its own, built-in cranking device.
2. The use simply hand cranks the devise typically for one to two minutes (see your individual instruction manual for exact instructions and required crank duration.)
3. When the crank is turned, power is created and transferred to charge the internal batteries.
4. The user may then access radio functions and listen to news, weather, disaster or other pertinent emergency information.
Solar powered radios are also worth mentioning. The obvious drawback with a solar powered radio arises when there is inclement weather resulting in overcast or cloudy conditions In these instances, crank radios may afford a more practical solution. Most crank radios also offer other power options including normal battery or outlet powered operation.
Some of the unique features you can look for in the best crank radios include:
• NOAA weather alert monitoring
• AM/FM radio reception
• Flashlight accessory
• Cell phone charger (USB port)
• Shortwave capability
Protect yourself in the event of an emergency. What will you do when you are without power for days? How will you receive information when there are life threatening events? The answer may very well be crank radios.
We strongly recommend that you own an emergency weather radio to protect yourself during natural disasters or man-made emergencies. Your family may need valuable information that can only be provided via radio transmission in certain emergency situations. Radios can serve as a powerful source of comfort and information in times of need. Your safety may depend on it.