Simple Guide Towards Buying An Earthquake Kit
Earthquake is one of those disasters that can leave your life completely messed up. In most cases you need to vacate your houses and may have to leave outside home for a considerable period of time. Therefore, having an earthquake kit handy is of extreme importance. An ideal earthquake emergency kit should contain enough supplies needed for you and your family members to survive for at least 72 hours. In addition to basic food and water supplies, you will need other necessary emergency items such as first aid kits, medications, toiletries, sanitary supplies, flashlights, radios, etc. Store these kits at a location convenient to locate for all the family members. Also, don’t forget to store separate kits in your home, office and in your car.
You can buy a ready-made earthquake kit or can collect your own kit. However, buying a ready-made kit ensures that you have all the items needed in it. You can then customize it and add items as per your preference. Given below are few tips on how to buy an earthquake kit:
1) First of all determine the size of your kit you are planning to buy. You can buy single-serve earthquake kit or you can buy a large family size earthquake emergency kit, which are especially designed to serve the need of families.
2) If you have kids, elderly members, patients or pets in your family, it is better to buy specialized earthquake kits for them. Discuss with your family members and consider their specific needs and include them in the kit.
3) Check the shelf-life of the earthquake kit. It is advisable to buy earthquake kits with longer shelf-life. That may be a bit expensive initially, but cheaper in long run.
4) If you are buying kits online, check its pictures and prefer buying kits that come along with bags. It comes handy when you need to evacuate home during earthquakes.
5) Although ready-made kits contain all the items needed during earthquakes, you may need to add additional items, such as medicines and food for diabetic and disabled people.
6) Budget is also an important concern while buying earthquake kits. Determine a fixed budget and divide them into three different parts to buy different kits one for office, home, and one for car.
7) Lastly, check each items of the earthquake kit and understand their working. Do not buy any kit whose items are too complex for you to use.
Visit websites that sell disaster management kits and learn more about how to deal with earthquakes and other disasters.